Thursday, June 28, 2012

A Little Help From Friends

Sometime last week, a bright orange light went on my car that looks like this: (!)

Generally, lights and exclamation marks are not good by themselves, much less as a combo.  I called Subaru from my car to ask them what that light meant, and they said I might have a tire pressure problem or a leak in my tire.  "Okay, no problem, I can check my tire pressure," I said with confidence.

Except.

Last time I had to check my tire pressure, it involved me going to a pitiful little gas station and sitting, trying to figure out how to get it to work, paying someone inside, and ultimately giving up.  The entire time I kept thinking I went to college!  I should be able to do this!

Nope.

I asked a co-worker about it, but he was no help.  I asked another co-worker about it and she said she would help me, but then forgot.  So I've been driving around for almost a week now with this warning light on.

Today, a friend came over.  He and I met about 9 years ago when I was getting my teaching credential and he was a freshman (we were in orchestra together).  He is my only friend that I have made in 9 years who is not a teacher.  Recently, we have only seen each other during my breaks because I am completely unsocial otherwise.

"So....want to help me with something?" I asked.  Being the kind and obliging friend he is, he went with me to the gas station and taught me how to check my tire pressure with the gauge I keep in my glove compartment (but never knew how to use), how to work the air machine, and how to put air in my tires.

It's so often the little things that make all the difference.

I am grateful for those in my life who will stop to help me with the small things.  They add up very quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment