Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Surgery

I stayed up all night.

When you have to report to the hospital at 5:00 a.m., which means you need to leave at 4:25 a.m., and you've been going to sleep at 3 a.m. anyway...well, I tried to sleep but I just wasn't tired.

It was a pretty boring beginning.

I got my awesome socks (I love those socks) and a non-awesome gown.  The nurse guy tried to get me to put out my contacts.  I refused.  He insisted.  In the end, I just lied.  I have 30 day 30 night contacts so I sleep with them in, and I am SO nearsighted that I hate waking up from surgery and not being able to see anything.  It takes them forever to get your glasses to you, too.

The IV is my least favorite part.  When I was 17, it took them 12 times to get it in.  And then, the lady just held down my hand, stabbed me, and wiggled the needle underneath my skin until she found a vein.  I'm no pain wuss, but that hurt!

Now, they give you a small shot before putting in the IV, so it's a lot better.  It's kind of like getting the gel on your gums before getting a novicaine shot.  And about 3 different hospital people came by as it was going in, and they were astonished that I liked to watch the IV go in.  I figure, if you watch it go in, you know the exact moment to become tense instead of being tense for a really long time anticipating it.

Even though the doctors say that you won't remember the time prior to surgery, I always do.  I also always take a really long time to recover from the anesthetics.  I remember being rolled down the hall, remember them telling me I wouldn't remember this part, remember them having me move to the operating table, remember them putting sensors on me....and remember them telling me I would be going to sleep.

It felt like a deep sleep.  When I woke up, I knew time had passed.  Maybe the fact I had been awake for 24 hours made it harder to wake up.  I felt them pulling of the sensors and I thought...I'm just going to lie here and keep my eyes closed and pretend to still be asleep.  It took a long time for me to be able to get up.  I usually need a stronger dose of anesthetics to get me asleep, but then it also makes it harder for me to get up and functioning again.

I spent the day in bed, sleeping on and off.

The strangest part was while I was sleeping, I got a phone call from my coworker.  I completely forgot I wasn't supposed to talk, and I answered the phone.  He asked, "Can you talk?" and I said, "Yes," confused. I just plain forgot I had surgery!  I was confused why my voice sounded weird.  To be fair, i'm like this in general when you wake me up in the middle of a deep sleep, and I'm sure the leftover drugs in my system didn't help the matter....

Another coworker came by and brought me ice cream and macaroni and cheese :)

It's nice to have an excuse to sit around being a bum.

No comments:

Post a Comment