Monday, July 16, 2012

Worker's Comp - Just YES OR NO?!

Eugh.

Talk about a job I would NOT want.

I'm going through a worker's comp ordeal right now.  I hurt my voice and am having surgery in a week, and after speaking to the district about using my sick days they submitted me for worker's comp.  I really appreciate the fact that my bosses reactions were, "Oh no!  Let's get you taken care of!" and not "Hey, it's not our fault..."  I hadn't even thought about worker's comp, and then I got a packet in the mail.

But speaking to the worker's comp rep is just...painful.  He's a nice guy and all, but clearly he has a job where he gets yelled at all day, and if he makes a mistake or says the wrong thing someone is going to sue him or....cut him.  Whenever I ask a simple yes or no question, he responds literally for 3-5 minutes, never actually answering the question, repeating what he said 5 minutes ago.  I kept having to ask the same question over and over again, and when he wouldn't answer the question I'd have to isolate it even more.

It was exhausting.

It makes me really not want to be a lawyer.  Ever.

For instance:
ME - "I recall you said that I have to see a second doctor, but my surgery is scheduled for a week from now and I haven't received any information about who I'm supposed to see.  So I was wondering if I could get the name of the doctors so I could set up an appointment."

HIM - PAPERWORK TAKES A LONG TIME --> but this answer was spread over 3 minutes about the process and the government and...I stopped listening.

ME - Okay....so you can't give me the doctors' names?

HIM - NO. --> spread over another 4 minutes about how he doesn't have the information until the paperwork is processed and how you never really know how long it's going to take and....

ME - So what happens when I go to the second doctor AFTER I have surgery?

HIM - YOU SHOULD REALLY WAIT AND RESCHEDULE YOUR SURGERY - took another 5 minutes about how the process takes time and how, again, paperwork is processed...

ME - Yeah, that's not going to happen.  I'm having surgery on Monday.  So,, again, what happens when I've had surgery but have to go to your doctor afterward?  How is he going to check my condition if I've already had surgery?

HIM - YOU SHOULD RESCHEDULE YOUR SURGERY -> 5 minutes, I kid you not, of how it's not their doctor, how it's issued by a 3rd party and ... blah blah blah ... and then he talked again about processing.

ME - But I'm not going to.  So what will happen when I go to 2nd doctor after my surgery?  (at this point, I'm getting annoyed because all I want is a 3 sentence answer, at most.)

HIM - HE'LL REVIEW YOUR RECORDS AND MAKE A DECISION BASED OFF OF THAT. - 3 minutes of medical release information and liability information and...groan

ME - Okay, that's what I was looking for.  I feel sorry for you, you must get yelled at a lot.

HIM - YEAH, I DO --> seriously 5 minutes of how the state of California mandates the process, not the employer, and benefits and paperwork and process and....groan.

I feel like part of my soul has died.

No comments:

Post a Comment