Thursday, August 23, 2012

Apartment Hunt: Day 1

It's Thursday.  I think.  On Tuesday I slept maybe 5 hours before being awoken by termite people.  On Wednesday I didn't sleep at all because Thursday morning I had an early flight and my late night tendencies and early flight...well....I've been awake for 33 hours now?  I think?  Still not anywhere near my record but I am definitely sleepy.

My day began with booing at United Airlines when the announced a delay (seriously, the last two times I've flown have had 3-5 hour delays) but it ended up only being about a 30 minute delay, which wasn't so bad.  When I got into SFO and actually knew where to go and how the BART, it was strangely comforting.  As I sat watching the scenery go flying by, I had a little moment where I got very excited and thought wow, I get to live here...eventually...I hope.  I also appreciated the only "graffiti" I saw was a happy face drawn on the seat in front of me.

I got off at the Powell Street exit, ready with my giant warm coat (thank goodness, I'm so happy to be away from warm weather) and realized my stomach was trying to eat itself from hunger.  I dropped my bag off at my hotel (too early to check in) and proceeded to find somewhere for a good sandwich or burger.  I sat, in Union Square, trying to decide and finally went back to the sandwich place where I ate the most delicious club sandwich last time...because I wanted a delicious club sandwich.

Walking around downtown San Francisco, I was both amused and annoyed by the mass amounts of tourists (I know I'm a tourist too, but I think I must walk fast), excited and intimidated by how fast paced everything moves (literally)...I wanted to be a tourist and look around but I don't want to be mugged :)  I already have that "easy target" look to me.

My hotel was super nice and let me check in early, so I got in around 1:30 instead of 3:00 and proceeded to take a 1 hour nap before heading out to my slew of apartment viewings.  I had made a copy of a map and made pink dots with addresses on it so I knew where to go, but made sure it was on a normal sized piece of paper to make me look less confused/lost.

Apartment #1 - A mere 4 block walk, the apartment was cute.  Fairly big for SF, very bright, but...the neighborhood made me a little bit uneasy and nervous.  Just a little bit.

Apartment #2 - 3 blocks a way., a bigger place, very cute, and even though it was only 3 blocks away I liked the neighborhood better.  It was also at the top of my price range once you add parking, and it just...I didn't love it to spend my max amount.

Apartment #3 - 5 blocks but entirely uphill.  As I climbed my way up to Pine, all I could think was...if I make this walk every day I'm going to have really strong legs and a really strong butt.  It was...I was looking forward to this one, but it was tiny and blah.  Great neighborhood.  I sat around talking with two guys who also came to see it, and we all lamented over how difficult it is and how all 3 of us are not SF residents right now.

Apartment #4 - 9 blocks and I was trying to get there in time for the open house.  I got there, nobody was there, and it was in a less than safe neighborhood.  Not horrible, but...I wouldn't want my parents visiting me there at night.

I only saw 4 apartments but it felt like way more than that.  I'm exhausted.  My dinner is goldfish crackers because I'm too tired to go anywhere.  For me, sleep always wins the sleep vs. food fight.

I had my first REFRESHER from Starbucks today.  Thank you to all my students who have gotten me Starbucks cards over the years...you are feeding my adventure when I'm too lazy to go somewhere else.  The refresher was so good.  Juice + caffeine = perfection for me.

After this day, I mean maybe it's because I've been awake for so long, but....I just feel like Lower Nob Hill isn't for me.  It feels a little too fast paced and a little too gritty for me at this point in my life.  And downtown seems like...hotels and tourists and people and....I think I just want to go a to a quieter place.

Tomorrow I venture into the Lower Pacific Heights area and...I think Pacific Heights, too.  I'm also going to go intrude on my last Lower Nob Hill place (he wouldn't email me back so I'm just going to call or show up because it's right by my hotel).  I might go see a possible roommate situation in Russian Hill.

Aw.  I just ate all my goldfish...

No comments:

Post a Comment