Friday, September 7, 2012

18th - THE DAY

It is set in stone.

I close on the 18th!

I spent my morning trying to decide between two types of movers.

1.) $$$ - expensive but a flat rate for all your stuff, no matter how much, and they deliver the next day or...the day after that or the day after that depending on what you want.

2.) $$ - $600 less than option 1 providing your stuff is less than 2000 pounds.  The hitch is they can deliver your stuff within 7 days, and you don't know until the day before that your stuff is coming.

I sat trying to decide how much reliability meant to me, and if it really meant $600.  My plan was to move out, drive to Fresno to drop off some stuff and visit my friends, and then go to SF.  I decided on option 2 because...$600 is a lot of money to pay for peace of mind when it comes to...this.

I also sat around trying to figure out how much all my worldly possessions weigh.  I'm fairly confident that it's under 2000 pounds, especially as I start chucking everything I own.

Then the question came down to...if I close on Tuesday, when do I want to move?  I decided Tuesday.  It's just easier than having to stay at a friend's house and...I guess I don't have to super clean the house for the next people.  I mean I'll do a sweep or something but...after how difficult it's been I don't need to have fresh flowers waiting for them.  Though I do plan to have informational sticky notes stuck around the house...and am leaving them some kind of regifted gift.

I also sold my washer and dryer today!  I am so happy and relieved.  Now I have to figure out what to do with the refrigerator.  Edison has a recycling program and they'll pay you $35 if it still works...but they come on Saturdays and Tuesdays only, and their window is 7:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.  So they'd have to come on Saturday, which means...no perishable food for a few days.  I'm not sure if I can survive on peanut butter and rice cakes.

10 boxes are labelled and taped and stacked up.  5 of them are books.  The rest are all office supplies.  This is AFTER I purged my major office supplies.  I laugh that I have one box of "official office supplies" and one box of "colorful office supplies".

I have broken out my many scarves and they are serving useful purposes: protecting my one lamp, wrapping pencil cups.  I don't want to use them for real cups because I have no idea the last time I WASHED my scarves, and I don't want gross sweaty scarves wrapping clean happy drinking glasses.

That's another thing.  I went through a drinking glass...phase.  I have two sets of colorful cups (one acrylic, one glass), short cups, tall skinny cups, red wine goblets, martini glasses (ironic since I drink neither red wine nor martinis...I just like to be fancy when I drink juice), random glasses that have farm animals on them....white mugs, black mugs, soup mugs, latte mugs (I use them for cereal), travel mugs.

I'm going to cut down my mugs to 1/2 what I have.  Good-bye, martini glasses, tall glasses, white mugs, acrylic glasses...and half my soup/latte mugs.  I don't have a dishwasher anymore; I can't afford to be that fast and loose with the cups!


No comments:

Post a Comment