Friday, October 19, 2012

Another One Bites the Dust

I kill electronics.

Computers, printers, phones....I kill them all.  They have a really short lifetime around me, and it's not because I'm careless....they just...die.  In my mind, I'm convinced this has something to do with my ability to make streetlamps turn off when I walk/drive by.

Since high school, I've never had a computer go more than 2 years without it dying.  I started with Macs, killed them for years.  In college, I switched to a Dell desktop and then a dell laptop.  My Toshiba laptop had a horrible death where something with the hard disk died and I couldn't recover ANYTHING because I couldn't get into it.  I've had 2 HPs that have last the longest...they both made it a month or two past the 2 year mark.

Well, last night, my laptop was having some problems and I had to power it off the painful way: holding the power button down.  I've been having to do this more and more often over the past few months.  But this time, it made this....clunk sound.  I even said, "That wasn't a good sound."  Upon restarting, my computer went into a startup repair.  It had gone 3 hours long when I went to bed.  When I woke up, it said it couldn't fix the problems.  I had to shut off my computer again, and when I tried to start it up it said there was no bootable device.

Great.

This morning, I went to Staples, basically when it opened.  I cannot live without a computer.  I just can't.  I'm an addict.  I hung around the computer section, but nobody came to help me.  So I went to the computer helping desk, and this lady was having a conversation with this man about....operating systems and linux, and I stood there as they chatted happily.  3 separate Staples employees walked by me or just stood in the corner watching me wait.

The gentleman finally left, and then she went back behind her computer and started working.  Um, hello?  Hello?  Girl who has been waiting could use some assistance?  She finally, with a sigh, asked me what I needed, and I asked how I would go about getting one of those laptops on display.  She asked me which one, and very slowly went to check.  And then she asked me which one, again.  All the while sighing and kind of rolling her eyes at me.  "What operating system do you want on it?"  Huh?  I have a choice?  I got confused and said I didn't realize I had that choice, and how I really wish I still had my windows 7 cd.

She sighed again, and said the computer came with Windows 7 but did I want Microsoft Office or an antivirus program?  I said no thank you, and she said, "Computers don't really come with preinstalled software anymore.  It's why they're so cheap," talking to me like I'm an idiot.

Did I miss something?  Did I do something to offend you?  Do I look like the girl who stole your boyfriend??

She finally came back with the laptop, rung me up, didn't ask me if I wanted a warranty protection service or anything, didn't offer me a bag (though I brought a big tote bag, fortunately, which I pulled out outside the store).  She kind of acted like...a snotty person would act if I were buying VHS tapes and cassette tapes.

Boo.

I am now on my HP Pavilion g7-2017us laptop.  You would think that after my computers have died so often I'd be paranoid about backing up.  But...alas.  My last backup was months and months ago.

My old laptop, I can now kind of restart but it gets stuck on the "starting windows" graphic no matter what I do.  It won't reboot in safe mode.

I'm trying to remember my bookmarks but...have only remembered a small hand full.

Oh well, if I can't remember, can't be that important, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment