Monday, October 1, 2012

It's Chinatown

It's HOT in San Francisco.

I think it hit 90 degrees today, and while I shouldn't complain since I was coming from 90+ (more like around 100) degree heat, I moved to San Francisco for the deliciously cool weather.

One day, I'm going to take a leisurely walk to catch the #1 MUNI bus.  Granted, I've only taken it twice (4 times if you count coming and going), but each time I leave at the last possible minute and have to haul up a big hill.  By the time I get to the bus stop I'm sweating and panting like I just ran the mile.  It's pitiful.

The #1 is funny, because it's full of cranky Chinese ladies :)  I say that with love.  It's really quite entertaining as they yell at people in Chinese...who clearly can't understand a word of Chinese.  They give you dirty looks when you sit next to them.  It's very funny.

I went on a walking tour of Chinatown today, and it was almost 2 hours long.  I tried really hard to pay attention to the historical aspects of it, but there was so much information!  I'm definitely not a historian.  I FOUND the group because we met in Portsmouth Square Park which was FULL of Chinese people.  And then there was this group of white people with backpacks and cameras and sweatshirts and fanny packs :D  Ah, the fanny pack.  Will you ever go out of style?  ;)

We went all over the place and learned about all the hidden crime and the racism towards the immigrants.  I think I was in middle school when I decided that the commonality amongst all immigrants is...when they first got here, nobody wanted them here and tried to scare them away.  I noticed in history class, with every wave of immigration, everybody was worried they would take their jobs away.  Likewise with the immigration of the Chinese to San Francisco.

I saw all these wonderfully ridiculous touristy items, and I so wanted to stop and buy stereotypical "chinatown" trinkets, but after the walking tour I was SO exhausted.  After about 2 hours, I was ready for food and rest.  I had just missed the bus back so I went into the Bank of America that was on the corner, cashed my check, and they talked me into changing my credit card (and the guy kind of laughed at how old my card was).  :)  He was really nice and friendly though; I always appreciate that.

I spent the rest of the day recovering, and I'm so exhausted.  I'm ready for bed now.  And I'm off melatonin for the 5th night in a row, so we'll see how that goes.  I'm...sleeping.  I'm sleeping without help now, which is...new.  And I'm sleeping a good 8-9 hours every night.  I've had such horrible problems with this for such a long time that it's really quite refreshing.  While I've struggled with sleeping properly since I was 11 or 12 (more severely in high school), since about March or April my sleeping has been horrible.  I've been having nightmares and would wake up every hour after finally falling asleep...

That has to be a good sign, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment