Friday, October 26, 2012

Pretending I Am Clean

I wouldn't say I'm messy.  But a little bit of clutter is fine for me, as long as I know where everything is.  Organized clutter, I guess.

The rest of my family, however, are TYPE A obsessive compulsive cleaners.  My sister bleaches the counters after every meal.  If you put a glass of water down in the kitchen, go to the bathroom and come back, my mom will have mysteriously made the glass disappear.

I keep a glass in the refrigerator that I use for water for several days.

My parents are visiting me tomorrow for the first time since I moved.  I spent the day orange oiling the wooden surfaces, windexing the floor, bleaching all the countertops, vacuuming the carpets, and generally straightening up.   I know it makes no difference, since my parents will still sit and fluff the couch pillows.  My mom will clean that small crevice where the water faucet and sink meet.

Oh well.

Even though I was known for being absolutely meticulous at work, there are just some things...I don't care about.

As a small child, I was a complete slob.  My room...had....foot holes where I had cleared off the junk so that you could hop around.  Then, literally over night, I became obsessive compulsive clean.  Everything was parallel or perpendicular.  It FREAKED everybody out to see the sudden change (I think I was in 4th or 5th grade).

Since then, I've found a happy medium.  I clean as well as I can, then watch as things get messier and messier, and then I clean again when I get frazzled by my environment.  And with a smaller home, I get frazzled faster because there is less space for the mess to hide.

No comments:

Post a Comment