Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Lifelong Student

Today, I learned two things.

1.) YOU DON'T HAVE TO VOTE FOR EVERYTHING.  I feel stupid for not knowing this.  I remember the first time I went to vote (embarrassingly not until I was working...), I was ready to vote for president and propositions, but I was not ready to vote for school board members.  I felt bad voting for people when I had no idea what their background was aside from the little blurb by their name.  I ended up voting for anybody who was a current or former teacher.  And if there weren't enough,  I voted for any woman or minority....or female minority.  It was Orange County, I was trying to force some diversity in my very non-diverse area.

This is the first time I actually properly am going through my sample ballot, am looking at all the websites (I'm being late about it but at least I'm doing it), and actually really know who and what I am voting for.  I have to admit, there are just some things I don't have a strong opinion on.  I don't know who would make the best BART director.  I don't know what really qualifies a person to do a good job.

I'm sad to see that, out of the 11 people running for school board spots, only one mentions the arts.  One.  That's it.  He gets my vote.  I put a star by his name.

2.) I watched a guy walk by with a lit up pizza sign....the kind that you normally see on top of a delivery car...and I had a realization...they just stick the sign on their own car!!!  All these years, I thought pizza delivery cars were kind of like...taxi cabs.  I assumed that the sign was somehow attached and that the business owned the car!  It didn't even occur to me that the delivery people were driving around in their own car and just propped a lit up sign on top.

My friend, A~, looked at me with the same shocked face.  It made me feel better that such a smart person had the same exact reaction as I.


No comments:

Post a Comment