Thursday, November 8, 2012

Union Square Skating

Yesterday, I headed downtown to go to The Gap for a pair of orange khakis on sale.  Yup.  I really love orange!   At some point, when I go back to work, I will have orange work pants.  Yeah!

Getting off the bus, I walked through Union Square...because I enjoy it.  First, I saw the giant half Christmas tree.  Seems a little soon, but that's okay.  The holiday spirit is a good one, so I encourage it.  I made a mental note to come back when it was done.
The other thing I saw was...an ice skating rink!  I have a special place in my heart for ice skating, so of course I was drawn to the rink.  I stared happily, but refrained from skating.  I have no health insurance right now, and the last time I skated it ended up with me having surgery and not being able to walk for 2-3 months.  I probably shouldn't get on skates again until I can afford the consequences.
BUT, I did watch other people skate.  There was a very impressive man and woman who were doing...jumps.   Lutzes?  Salchows?  I have no idea.  But the BEST...there was a construction worker skating around.  At first, I thought...well that's nice!  And somewhat unexpected.  I don't know why I was surprised to see a construction worker skating.  I just was.  BUT, he came with a friend.  His friend, who looked like the guy from MythBusters, was squatting and sort of...floating across the ice.  Seriously, a 90 degree squat, arms out precariously, legs wide apart.  He clearly had no skating experience, but good for him for trying!

So the squatting guy's friend came over, laughed at him, and then took his hand and started trying to help him skate!  It was so nice!  :)  I, of course, stood on the outside laughing because he looked so ridiculous, but I wasn't laughing in a mean way.  Church giggles.  I REALLY wanted to take a picture, but didn't want to be rude.

It was just...NICE to see a grown man helping his friend.  They had one more co-worker who was standing, taking pictures, and hysterically laughing at the poor squatting ice skater.  Watching them made me happy.

I kind of want to be their friend now.


No comments:

Post a Comment