Monday, December 10, 2012

Danville

Yesterday, I woke with a text message inviting me to a family holiday party in Danville.  While I assume that most of my coworkers have already forgotten about me, more or less, this one has family up here and was visiting.

I figured...why not?  My original plan for the day was to go to the California Academy of Science's museum since they were having a free day.  A normal person could do both, but a person who wakes up at 12:30 has to choose.

I normally also bring something to parties, but wasn't sure what to bring and figured...I WAS invited a few hours before it was supposed to happen, so it's okay, right?  My mom would be mortified, but she doesn't have to know.

It took me almost 45 minutes to get over the Bay Bridge.  There was an accident both getting into the bridge and ON the bridge yesterday.  It wasn't horrible, but I had a flash back as I sat stuck in traffic of: I used to do this every day!!

Once I got to Danville, it was dark and I wasn't sure what was going on.  But I had fun at the party.  I only knew one person, and it's always been difficult for me to maintain a conversation with someone I didn't know.  And trying to explain to the relatives of a teacher that you used to be a teacher but aren't anymore is a bit...difficult.

Though, when explaining my assignment (2 schools, 5 grade levels, 500 students) one man exclaimed, "That's ridiculous!  How can you take it; that doesn't seem right!"  I answered, "I couldn't; that's why I quit," which made everybody laugh.

In talking with my friend's nephews and nieces (12, 14, and...16, I think) upon finding out that I used to be a music teacher, they all got very excited and the 14 year old said, "Aw, I wish you were MY teacher!"  That was sweet.  The 16 year old boy asked me what the worst part of being a teacher was.   I didn't even have to think.  (But I'll let you sit in suspense)

At the end of the evening, Santa came and had an individual gift for everybody at the party (very impressive).  Thank you, Santa, for my awesome colander with happy faces in a bright happy orange.  It's very Naoko.

No comments:

Post a Comment