Thursday, December 20, 2012

Friends and Food Trucks

I set my alarm and actually woke up at 9:30 in the morning.  While I wasn't meeting my friends until noon, it was in Palo Alto, and I wanted to give myself an hour and a half to get there.  Especially when going to new places, I like to add on time, just in case.

I arrived first at the Palo Alto Creamery and put down my last name for 3 adults, one booster chair, and one high chair.  When I spelled out my last name, the guy said, "Yeah, I know how to spell it.  That's my grandfather's last name, too."

Stopping for a moment, I said, "That means we're related!"  My last name is very uncommon, and all of us in the United States are related.  But there is, apparently, a whole side of the family we've never met because of some...problem that happened years ago between two sides of the family.

The guy didn't seem as excited as I was.

My friends, Jenny, Justin, and their two kids, Josie and James.  Josie was wobbly on a scooter, and James was being pushed in this...it wasn't a stroller.  It kind of looked like those old toy vacuum cleaners that have colorful balls that pop around, but you could sit in it.  And they also had the biggest backpack I've ever seen for all of James' medical supplies (he has a genetic disorder and has an enormous amount of...stuff that accompanies him everywhere).  They were, in fact, visiting the area to take James to the doctor.  He spent most of the first year of his life in the hospital with the family split apart.  They are an amazing family.

Justin is also a teacher/coach and we talked about my recent exit of the profession.  All the while, kids were breaking straws and zooming around and being...kids.  James is 1 and Josie just turned 3, I think.  At one point, when the very breakable straw broke and Josie could not drink out of it, she turned to her mom and said, "This straw is defective."  To be fair, we had been using that word earlier, but it was still amusing to hear out of the mouth of a 3 year old.

But all I could think was...Jenny and Justin must be tired all the time.

I headed home, rested for a bit, and then went out to meet a friend and her friend for food truck eating and a comedy club adventure.  Below is the picture of the food truck I perused.  I found it funny because they were showing episodes of Full House.


It was a fun evening, and I was happy to meet someone new.  It was FREEZING, however, and when we went to the comedy club, all 3 of us fulfilled our 2 drink minimum with two rounds of hot chocolate.


No comments:

Post a Comment