Thursday, January 31, 2013

Domesticity

When my former co-worker came to work one day with a new shirt his wife bought him, and a homemade lunch his wife made him, I naturally thought...man, I need a wife.

I think I secretly want a wife from the 50's who will cook my meals, clean my house, and clean my clothes for me.  No, that's not true.  That's only when I'm feeling tired and overworked or sick.  When you're sick, all you really want is your mommy making you food and bring it to your bed on a tray.

Today, I finally had a day of domesticity myself.  Something about a washer and dryer being more than 10 feet away (and $4 per load) makes me a laundry lazy person.  Yes, I own about 50 pairs of socks.  I don't think jeans get dirty.  It's ironic, because I used to do laundry every week out of a different kind of laziness.

What can I say?  I'm super hard working and diligent when it comes to actual work, but when it comes to housework...I want a 50's housewife.

Something about having a freshly laundered bed, with pillows all fluffed up, comforter straightened and not half falling on the floor...it's relaxing.  It gives me a weird sense of peace.  I also cleaned off my coffee table and orange oiled it (I LOVE orange oil), washed some clothes, washed my towels finally, and made pot roast.

I don't think I will eat my pot roast today, however.  But now my apartment smells like delicious yumminess.  My slow cooker is bubbling away with a mischievous gurgle.  I have to admit, I am tempted to tear that meat apart and gorge myself on chunks of beef, but alas..I extended my fast for another day.  I woke up feeling cheerful and not hungry, so I figured I might as well continue it.  I also had a dream I was eating chocolate chips from the freezer, which satiated my uncharacteristic chocolate craving.


No comments:

Post a Comment