Thursday, January 3, 2013

Hello 2013

Happy 2013 everybody!

It's the year of the Snake, if you want to be Chinese about it.  My mom is excited because it's HER year.

After being out of town for a fairly long time (with a little less than 24 hours in SF during the middle of that), I'm glad to be back.  Walking around town feels kind of weird again, much like when I first moved here.

So do you have any New Years resolutions?  I like to make one every year, though I always end up making several since I make a New Years resolution, and then I set goals for myself at the beginning of a school year.  I guess that's kind of moot now, though.  My most successful resolution has been to have breakfast every day.  That was after YEARS of not having breakfast because I valued that extra 20 minutes of sleep too much.  I also make the resolution of, "Have a resolution next year" when I can't think of anything.  I've had the resolution to be more courageous.  Eat more apples.  Start eating vegetables besides potatoes.  

This year, my resolution is to be as kind to myself as I am to other people.

That's...going to be difficult, actually, because I think I'm pretty nice to other people, and I'm pretty mean to myself.  I don't sleep enough, I don't eat enough, I work too hard for too long, I give up time and effort for people who don't want my help or don't appreciate it or expect me to do so and feel entitled to it, I worry about people and try to help them when they don't want my help, I exhaust myself trying to do my best, I sacrifice myself for others...the list goes on and on.

So this year, I am making the conscious effort to be kinder to myself.  Someone has to be, right?  And while that may be relatively easy now, I know as soon as I start working again I'm going to have to resist the temptation of getting overly...everything.  Giving too much.

That sounds ridiculous.  But it's true.

Do you have a resolution?

No comments:

Post a Comment