Monday, January 21, 2013

Inauguration - Obama - Part Deux

I remember Obama's first inauguration.

We sat at school, and opened the MPR doors so band and orchestra could watch it together.  The whole school was watching it, either on their tvs or on their projection screens.  We had no tv, and in a room full of over 100 middle school kids, we attempted to deal with the horrible delays of watching it on CNN.

And then...I remembered...I have a laptop, and I have a slingbox.  So I put my 17 inch laptop in front of 100 kids, and we all watched it as I streamed my slingbox image from my home television.  I connected my laptop to the piano amplifier so everybody could hear.  We kept the images streaming on the big screen but the lagging was so bad, most of the kids just crowded around my laptop.

The best moment, for me, was a total music dork moment.  I had not read up the event, so I had no idea who was going to be there.  So when they announced Yo-Yo Ma, I lit up with delight, and all the kids in my class got very excited and cheered.  Band side asked, "Who is Yo-Yo Ma?" to which the orchestra kids scoffed at their ignorance.

Never had I been so proud to have raised snobs.  =)

At my afternoon school, they had done the same thing in the morning, with all the kids watching in class.  The orchestra kids, NOT sitting together but in fact all apart in different classes, completely outed themselves by dorking out over Yo-Yo Ma, too.  A viola player of mine later said he got excited, cheered, and then got in trouble for getting too excited.

Best reason to get in trouble EVER.

Seeing as I woke up at 5:00 in the afternoon yesterday and am still awake, I think I will stay up to watch the inauguration.  I didn't realize it started so early in the morning...even though it completely makes sense that it would start so early, and last time my memories are of 1st period.  Yeah.  Way to go, memory.

I know I've said it before, but I just love hearing Obama speak.  He's so eloquent.  George W. Bush just...stressed me out.  Clearly, his speech writers had to simplify his speeches so he could get through them, but even so he struggled.  I would watch his speeches going, "Come on!  You can do it!" and wincing in pain when he kept mispronouncing the same word.  (If you know you're screwing up the word, and you realize you can't say it...WHY would you say it over and over again???)

UPDATE: I forgot the first hour was people just arriving.  I fell asleep waiting for Obama to arrive (I remember him getting in the car at the White House).  I woke up, started to watch a little bit, and fell back asleep.  Woke up, someone else was talking, fell back asleep.

Oops.

No comments:

Post a Comment