Friday, June 7, 2013

Vons

When I lived in Orange County, I made two shopping trips a week.  One was to Henry's (or Sprouts, because their name changed) and one was to Vons.  Sprouts was for my meats and vegetables, mostly, since they were cheaper there.  My trip to Vons was for anything packaged and for my coffee creamer.  I love the caramel macchiato creamer, it's delicious.

Since moving to San Francisco, I've been walking to Whole Foods twice a week.  Grocery stores are strangely few and far between in SF, and this Whole Foods is a mere .3 miles from my apartment!  I had heard rumor there was a Safeway nearby, but my landlady told me to drive there.  Since I hate driving, I never went.

Today, I finally went!  I walked, because it seemed close.  Just .6 miles!  The walk there was fine.  I walked over Geary on a bridge, which was fun.  I have a special place in my heart for bridges, no matter how mundane they may seem.

I didn't realize how much I had missed Safeway/Vons/Pavillions.  It's been 8 months since I've been to one.  New foods exist, now!  Ice creams exist now that didn't before!  A strange reuniting.  Hooray!  I don't have to go to Walgreens or Target anymore for my packaged foods!  I also bought two cartons of Greek yogurt for 5.99 instead of the normal 7.99 at Whole Foods.  I found my peanut butter Oreos I've been looking for for months.  I didn't have to wait in line to buy meat!

I realize I'm a little too excited about this.

The walk back, however, was strange.  I usually struggle coming back from Whole Foods, as I cram everything into one impressive bag that leaves horrible red marks on my shoulder as I trek up a giant hill.  Walking twice the distance, while only .6 miles, was surprisingly difficult.  By the time I reached my apartment, my face was sweaty.  I had to change into cooler clothes upon returning.  My heart rate was elevated and I was breathing hard.

I've decided to count my trip to the grocery store as exercise.

Buses also don't really help.  All the buses will take you a block or two at most.  It seems like a waste.  Still.  I missed the store.  Perhaps I will only go for light foods next time...instead of a pound of yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment