Saturday, March 1, 2014

Miley Cyrus - Wrecking Ball

I don't want to be a hater.

Nor do I want to put negativity out into the world.

Upon seeing the original Wrecking Ball by Miley Cyrus (I think the first time I saw it was on The View, strangely enough), I, like many people, thought oh dear.  Yes, my inner voice is a 76 year old lady.  Sometimes she's also a 6 year old child or a 13 year old boy.  It depends on the situation, really.

My reaction was one of: Miley Cyrus has lost her way.  She doesn't know who she is; she's trying to figure it out and trying to be what she'd like to be for the sake of being provocative.  One day she will look back at this time and either be embarrassed about it, embrace it as an odd time in her life, or she will have ended up a sad headline of some sort.



I dismissed the song, having originally heard it visually instead of with my ears.

That's understandable, right?  Perhaps not acceptable, but understandable.  The visual is such a strong one that it's completely distracting.  It's meant to be distracting.

When driving back from Fresno, I heard the song on the radio.  Since I was merging at the time, I left the station where it was (I'm a rather anxious driver) and actually listened to the song.

It wasn't bad.

There were musical complexities in the background that a lot of other songs lack.  Here's the other thing: the song actually does express something.  I think that's a really important facet of music.  It's why I'm not impressed by Kanye West (yet).  It's actually unfortunate that the Wrecking Ball video was SO visually distracting that I was unable to hear the content of the actual song for what it was.

So in my attempt to bring the music to the forefront instead of the visual, I decided to make my own version.

Don't worry; fully clothed.  A good 7 layers if clothing, in fact.

I did wear a nude-ish colored sweater.  I'm so wild <sarcasm>.  I also donned red lip stain, which is something that only happens within the confines of my own home.

Here's the video!

No comments:

Post a Comment