Friday, June 27, 2014

Great Week - It's Coming!

This week has been a metaphorical sigh of relief.

JOB #1 - I got a promotion and raise!  This job isn't glamorous, but it's easy to do and the people are nice and very smart.  My promotion makes me "specialized" into a particular department rather than doing general word.  I'm actually really excited about it because now I get to focus on my favorite problems (for that job).  I'm basically helping with anything involving money - account management, refunds, purchasing, whatever.  Okay, I have a confession.  Whenever I took those career personality tests as a high schooler, college goer, and then lost adult - they ALWAYS told me to be an accountant.  Boo.  The creative side of me groans and says, "Man that sounds awful."  However, the very logical side of me who likes math goes, "Yeah, I'd be good at that."  And I am.  And I do like it the same way I liked math over history - there's always a logical answer.

JOB #2 - YES!  I have a second job!  Well, rather, I signed a contract to start a second job next week.  It...is...an AWESOME job even though I don't know the full details.  Basically, I'm transcribing/creating music for a music app company.  This job will nourish the creative side of me.  After some pretty awesomely geeky email exchanges with the hiring manager, I get the feeling that this place is a very Naoko place.

Wait, two jobs?

Here's the deal.



Job #2 will be 30-40 hours a week.  Job #1 can be as many hours as I want, so I'm shooting for 20-25 hours a week.

Wait, that's madness!  Are you telling me you're going to work anywhere from 50-65 hours a week??

Here's the thing.  I'm Naoko.

When I was a teacher, there wasn't one week where I spent less than 60 hours working.  I'd say I averaged between 70-80 hours of working every week.  It was also way more emotionally and physically demanding than either of these two jobs (really, of any job I will ever have in my whole life unless I decide to be a brain surgeon at some point...or...a lawyer who practices law while running on a treadmill).

We'll see how it goes.

Everyone who met me after I quit teaching is slightly shocked/concerned that I'm going to work this much.  Everyone who knows me from teaching years and before knows it'll be easier and less work than I'm used to.

It'll be the first time, in 2 years however, that I'll be busy again.  I'm a little scared about it, but I'm ready to jump back on the horse.

Oh!

And I started T25 - you know, that exercise DVD by Shaun T?

Don't laugh at me.

Also, don't expect me to be or appear in shape when you see me next.  I am neither.  However, this is the first time I've regularly exercised since...well, since deciding to stop teaching.

So far, I really like T25.  It's the right length for me, seeing as how I'm physically lazy and hate exercising.  I'm also transitioning myself out of my poverty diet, which means I have started eating a healthy amount of calories again.  I thought I'd combine exercising + doubling my calories so my body knew it was okay and we weren't starving ourselves to save money anymore.

I got a raise.  I can afford lunch now!

No comments:

Post a Comment