Sunday, February 8, 2015

Sketchfest


I WENT TO SKETCHFEST!

"Hey Naoko, what's Sketchfest?" you may ask.

Uh, it's this comedy thing?

It's a series of events held over a few weeks.  You buy tickets.  You go.  You laugh.  You see celebrities.  Happiness ensues.

Last week, I went to see Christopher Guest, Harry Shearer, and Michael McKean.  If you're not familiar, they're in a series of movies together, including Waiting for Guffman, Best in Show, Spinal Tap... (just IMDB it).  I'm not actually a huge fan, but figured they'd have fun anecdotes (which they did) and would be entertaining (which they were).

I had been on the fence about seeing anything else, as it costs money.  However, after enjoying myself so thoroughly I decide I had to go see...

JANEANE GAROFALO.

You guys just don't know.


I love Janeane Garofalo.

I came across her standup when I was a teenager, maybe 14 or 15, and realized....there were others like me, I guess.  Not even that.  Just knowing someone like her existed was comforting to me.  I proceeded to watch every movie she was in, ranging from The Truth About Cats and Dogs and Mystery Men to the more obscure Sweethearts, The Matchmaker, Wet Hot American Summer..

The first even, on Saturday, was a movie screening of Misery Loves Comedy.  If this movie comes to a theater near you, you should see it.  It is HILARIOUS.  I also have this strange kinship with Jim Gaffigan.  Maybe it's because I do that strange talking-narrative-in-a-different-voice that he does, and did it before I knew he existed.  Upon seeing him for the first time, I thought...oh my god...I do that.  What's going on??  I also love his rant, in this movie, about veggie platters.  We speak the same language.

After the movie, there was a panel talking about the movie.  Kevin Pollack, Dana Gould, some guy (sorry guy), and....KEVIN SMITH and JANEANE GAROFALO.  Kevin Smith came out in his Silent Bob coat.  I know that's really just his coat, but it still made me happy.

Kevn Smith and Janeane Garofalo

The Whole Panel!

Janeane Garofalo is tiny, by the way.

----

Later that night, I went to see Celebrity Autobiography with Debbie Harry, JOHN CHO!, Eugene Pack, Micky Dolenz, Jennifer Tilly, Steven Webber, Dayle Reyfel, and MORE JANEANE GAROFALO!  :)

They took turns reading excerpts from celebrities' autobiographies.  Oh man.  You expect Justin Bieber to be kind of douchey, and it's not really a surprise when he is (though it's still funny).  You expect Kris Kardashian to be lame.  But I was a little sad that Beyonce came off as pretty dumb.  I was humorously disgusted by David Cassidy and Burt Reynolds.  I was elated by Michael Buble's dorkiness.  He really likes ping pong, you guys.

It was a wonderful experience and totally worth it.  I'm glad I shelled at the cash for it, because...it was worth it!  I mean, this is why I live in SF, right?

Next year, I will be better prepared and go to tons more.  I hope I win the lottery.

No comments:

Post a Comment