Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Bus Adventures

The bus.

I was not shameless enough / brave enough to go running up to the first bus, as it was pulling away from the stop.  Some people will run up to the bus and bang on the door, but I have yet to acquire that level of courage.  I'm more inclined to say, oh man...well, 10 minutes isn't that long of a wait.

I'm not sure if this is a good thing or totally sad.



Upon getting on the next bus, 10 minutes later, a group of 3 or 4 women sat in the back and talked super loudly and very personal things.  Like...inappropriately personal.  The mildest and least gross thing mentioned was one woman, who recanted the story of how she became allergic to milk while in jail, and her burps tasted like rotten eggs when they came up.  I did not want to know this about...well anybody, really.  That also doesn't sound like an allergy.  That sounds like...she drank bad milk.

I put on my headphones and politely tried to drown them out for the next 30+ minutes.  When I looked up, I realized there was small boy sitting almost across from me, clutching a box of Oreos and looking concerned.  He may have been 8.  There was no adult with him.

You have to understand, these ladies were LOUD.  I could still hear them with my headphones on.  And not only was the content of their stories pretty inappropriate for a public venue, but their means of telling said stories were equally inappropriate for a child to be hearing.  The little boy looked at me and we exchanged a look that basically said the same thing: their conversation is freaking me out, and I don't want to hear it.  He continued to look at me for the rest of the ride for, what I assume, was reassurance.

Two stops before mine, the group of ladies got off the bus.  One was very very pregnant.  That doesn't really have anything to do with the story at all, but I was inexplicably surprised by this.

I took off my headphones as the man sitting directly across from me pulled out his ear buds.  We both looked at each other and smiled - clearly, we had both put our respective ear gear on for the same reason.

I lament the amount of time I waste every day commuting.  I don't like dealing with some of the bus people.

However, I'd much rather deal with that than drive.


No comments:

Post a Comment