Saturday, April 18, 2015

Mugged (a.k.a I hate my bus)

It started with waiting for the 47 on Tuesday.

I waited for 5 minutes.  It finally showed up and stopped behind another bus.  Some people got on, and the other bus left, so my bus driver put up his hand to stop the rest of us from getting in.  He closed the doors and started scooting forward...and then drove away.

-_-

Next bus: 14 minutes.

I then called a Lyft, since I was at a hotspot.

I was pickup #2, but saw the driver was going to drive past me to get to the first pickup, so I called to let her know.  Apparently, this confused her, and she decided to instead drive the opposite direction of both of us.  As I stood in confusion, watching on the map as she got farther and farther away, I wondered if I should call her again to let her know she had gone the wrong way.

Instead, she canceled my ride.

-_-

At that point, the next bus was coming in 4 minutes, so I decided to stick it out.

I got on the 47.

I like the seat by the back entrance, where you scan your clipper card.  You only have to sit next to one person, it's easy to get out of and make an exit (which is challenging on the 47), and you can tuck your feet under the seat so people don't step on you.

There's a pole for people to hold onto, a little window-like area, and then a plexiglass partition that I can rest my head against.  I like it.

I had just finished my game of scramble with friends when some man reached through that little window and aggressively grabbed my phone out of my hands.  The only problem was...my headphones were plugged into it, so he got stuck and I got stuck.  I couldn't get up to go after him, and he was a little confused.  My first reaction was, huh?  What just happened?  Am I stuck to something?

-_-



When I realized he had taken the phone, I pulled on the cord of my headphones and tried to yank the phone back ^_^  It halfway worked but he was holding on too tightly and I think he disconnected us.  He was out the door already so I didn't actually see it happen.

As soon as we were disconnected, I grabbed my backpack and ran off the bus while simultaneously taking off my gloves.  It probably says something about me that:
1.) I went after him
2.) I took off my gloves so that if I had to punch him in the face, it wouldn't be cushioned by gloves
3.) It didn't occur to me that chasing after a thief was probably not a safe idea

However, he was too fast and I didn't see where he went.

I asked people if they saw anything, but of course, everyone else was staring at THEIR phones.

I went to the bank of america across the street and asked the security guard if he had seen anything.  Nope.  I walked around for a bit.  I walked up to the next bus stop.  I also proceeded to have a conversation with myself in my head.

What are you going to do if you DO see him?
I'm going to jump him.
Uh...how are you going to do that?
I'm going to literally jump on his back.
And then what?
My weight will bring him to his knees, and then I'll kick him.  And get my phone back.
Well, at least you have a plan...


I am 100% the person who would refuse to give up their stuff if held at gunpoint.  I am also 100% the person who would die from being shot over not giving up their stuff at gunpoint.  Like...if you want my stuff, you're going to have to make a decision that you're going to step up from theft to murder.  It's a horrible plan, this I know.  But I also know I'm most likely that person.

So now I am out a phone.

I'm mostly depressed that to replace my phone would cost $950.

I'm also sad that Verizon was no help when I went to their store.  It's like they had never encountered this problem before.  A guy straight googled what to do in front of me, and then told me he was googling it.  Seriously?  I could do that...

Oh.  And I called the police.  Because there was actual physical contact, I can't file a report online.  They said they'd send a police officer to get my report.  At 1:20 in the morning, I get a phone call that the SFPD is downstairs if I want to talk to them.  1:20 AM!!  So I put on my superman robe and go downstairs...and there's nobody there.

Was I just punk'd by the SFPD?

-_-

I'm grumpy.

Dear thief,

You bummed me out.  It's not nice to do bad things to good people.  Every time you get food poisoning, that's really the karma of having robbed me.  Nobody likes food poisoning.  And nobody likes mean people.  Is this who you really want to be?  Perhaps you ought to reexamine your life and reassess your priorities.

Warm regards,
Naoko

No comments:

Post a Comment