Sunday, June 21, 2015

3 Years

Today marks the 3 year anniversary of my last last day of school.

It's a little crazy that it has already been 3 years.  It feels like it was both a couple months ago and a lifetime ago.

On Friday, a co-worker asked, "Do you miss it?"  I do still tell a lot of teaching stories...

My honest answer was, "No.  Not really."  And everybody laughed.
Another person asked, "Did you like it?"
My honest answer was, "Yes.  I loved it, at the time.  I loved it until I didn't, and then I stopped."

Especially when talking with people who have not been in education, it's hilarious to me when they ask me about my classes and ask me which was my biggest one.  The look on peoples' faces when I say, "I had a beginning 4th grade class of 100," is priceless.  It brings me such amusement, I can't even tell you.

"How did you do it?!"
"I don't know.  I didn't know how I was doing it at the time...I just did."

Everyone asked me this at the time, too.  "I don't know how you do it," is the phrase that was told me the most often.  It's the phrase that people still say to me.

I miss the good kids.  I miss the banter and the funny things that would happen on a daily basis that only happens with kids.  I miss making a difference and seeing that difference over time.

However, there's such a long list of things I don't miss.



I am still grateful, every day, that I get to eat my lunch at a table and not in my car.  I don't have a rolly cart anymore.  Nobody yells at me, except an occasional random homeless person.  Everyone I work with is level headed, smart, kind, and weird.  I love that.  I don't have to drive.  The weather is amazing.  I live around music, and my favorite music is easily accessible.  I live in a place where weird is normal.  I live in a place that values....that HAS values, and values something besides the image they are portraying.  I don't have a nemesis.  I don't receive 100 emails a day (literally).  There is NO PAPER IN MY LIFE (oh god, the never ending piles of paper to grade).  I GET TO WORK AT 10:15....or whenever I want.  (Gone are the days of waking up at 5:30 a.m.  It hurts to even type that.)  I have tuned nobody by myself in 3 years :)  My tuning calluses are gone.  I can wear long necklaces and I can wear my hair down, since I don't have to worry about either attacking children.

Nobody, in my every day life, is rude to me.  That's a big one.

I get to be myself.  100%.  All the time.  That's also a big one.

I'm also grateful that I get to still keep in touch with former students.  It's nice to see where they are going in life.  I love hearing from them and about them.


No comments:

Post a Comment