Monday, July 6, 2015

BUS STORIES - Can't a white man ever catch a break?

Going home, I took my (now) normal #2 bus home.

Since they prefer you going through the backdoor rather than the front, I walked up to the bus, held down the button to open the door, and walked into the bus.  Easy, right?

As soon as I sit down, a man starts angrily muttering.  "Oh, you open the back door now, huh?  You open it for HER?!  That's DISCRIMINATION!  I'm being discriminated against!"

I peaked over at him and furrowed my brow with confusion.  It was a 60 something year old Caucasian man.

Uh.

Yeah, man.  You have it so hard.



I really wanted to ask, "Did you press the button down?" but decided it was probably not a wise idea to engage an angry man who was muttering to himself.

A few stops go by.

Then, after a stop, the back doors won't close.  The bus driver walks over and tries to close them.  Nope.  He and a girl try to manually force the doors close, and they just pop open again.  They kick the doors.  Nope.

"Yeah....that's why I wasn't opening the back doors.  But some people demanded it," he said, pointedly.  I can't blame him.

I'd like to take this time to point out that this was an African American bus driver.

Oh, the irony.

The bus driver was much more gracious than the passenger deserved.

Eventually, the doors magically closed and we went on our way, and we all just exited the front door.  The Caucasian man got off before I did, and while I was hoping that he'd apologize to the bus driver...he, of course, did not.

How could you not be embarrassed about your behavior after something like that??

Shame on you, sir.  I "tsk" in your face.

I've decided that the worst job in the world for me would be a bus driver.  Driving.  Gross.  It seems like a lonely job - you're surrounded with people but you don't actually connect with anybody.  The people are...gross.  Bus people are awful.  Yes, I am one of them.  I'm probably sometimes awful, too.  I don't mean to be.

I felt bad for him.

I thanked him, as I got off the bus, and he said, "Have a good day!"

Aw.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment