Sunday, July 26, 2015

Holberg Suite - Air (onenaoko)

Holberg Suite!

Every string player eventually plays this piece.  I have definitely forced more than one former class to play the Prelude (I have these vague memories of talking about galloping and coconuts.  Props to you if you get that references).

This is the Air, which is the slow and very pretty movement.

A student once said to me, "I wish my bow was this long" and spread his arms out as far as they would go.  Yeah, that's basically how I feel about this piece.  I wish my bow was ridiculously long so I could sustain a note FOREVER.  In lieu of that, I opted for a lot of staggered bowing.

I doubled up on the parts for two real reasons:
1.) Most of the parts had divisi parts
2.) I thought 10 mimicked a chamber group better than 5, and created a fuller sound

On another note, I'm looking for new video editing software that can handle multi-track videos.  My software is nice but....once all the parts are in, the video gets super choppy and I can't properly align everything toward the end.  I have both a PC and Mac, so if you have any recommendations, I'd love to hear them!

Okay.  Here it is:


No comments:

Post a Comment